When it's cheaper to do it yourself

Last Sunday, I went to Maesham's car boot sales to find a microwave. I saw two, but both were not enticing enough. Instead, I bought something completely different. It wasn't a spur of the moment thing. I've given it a bit of a thought before. It is related to alteration works that I need to do on a number of the trousers that I've bought. An ads on the university website put the alteration service at £7 per pair of trousers. That's ain't cheap. So, when I saw this, the money-saving brain cells got re-activated. The asking price was £15. I asked for £10. The sellers were wiling to go down to £12. Then I showed more interest in the merchandise. I asked how it works, and where the bits and bobs are. On the second time of asking it for £10, the sellers relented. I was surprised that they did. I was actually ready to stand up and leave. But, when they said 'ok', I had to make good of my offer. So, now I own a very old Singer machine (with an electric motor). Last night, I did my first alteration work. It worked!


Posted by Picasa

Comments

Unknown said…
you really make me wonder- writing, cooking, photography, and now SEWING, what sort of thing you're NOT CAPABLE of, sir?
That's me. Not afraid to try many different things. I should score very high on 'Openness to New Experience' personality scale. :-)