Lucky, Unlucky

Last week, I had a very nice time eating at Red Chilli with a friend. The ambiance of the restaurant suited my mood that day. I was, like what I've told Lord Voldermort, feeling more handsome than usual. The reason for the elation was a series of good events that happened that week. I got some data to work with, planned two papers (one journal, one conference), and life was great. 

Towards the end of dinner, which was paid by my friend, I felt a small hard object in my mouth. I thought it was something that I ate. But then, my mind rewinded flashes of screen shots when I felt piercing pains in my mouth when I was eating. My tounge worked perfectly well to fish out the offending object. As I hold it on my palm, I know what had happened. My tooth filling came off!

Not a good thing. I know there'll be rain on my parade. A whole week of fortunate sequence of events were brought to a jarring halt by a dental problem. My heart sunk. I know I had to re-do the filling. I remember the anxiety of going to the dentist (no offense Dr Ida - nothing personal). I dreaded the appointment. And I also remember paying over £45 to get it done the first time.

When I went to the dentist surgery the next day, I was prepared to spend some time on the dentist chair and to spend some money. Apparently, my dental record was stored digitally. Dr Ida looked at my record and gave me a pair of news. The bad news (I knew it already) was that she had to refill the cavity for which I have to make an appointment. The good news was that the tooth filling was still under warranty! It was 51 weeks ago that I had it done. The warranty was good for one year. So, I don't have to pay a single cent to get it re-done. Alhamdulillah.

The appointment was not until today. The temporary dressing that Ida put on the cavity had long gone. 'Temporary' for me was more like fleeting, evanescent even. I hope a 'permanent' one will be actually permanent. 

I opted for a jab, rather than goint at it raw. I can take the needle. Unfortunately, the first jab didn't do much for me. I still feel an intense pain as Ida started drilling. She jabbed me twice more. And yet the drilling work was felt, but more bearable. Luckily, there wasn't much drilling to be done. It was over rather quickly. 

As a result of having three injections, the left side of my mouth felt twice its size. The anaesthethic effect was much more intense AFTER rather than DURING the surgery. As I am writing this entry, I can't feel the back of my tounge. I hope I don't bite it. That would be unlucky.

Comments