Date with Nurses

I went to EMAS HQ last Friday for a session with a Nurse in the Control Room. The Nurse assigned to me was ill, so I got to observe a couple of other Nurses. The 7pm to 12am shift was interesting and beneficial. As an observer, I was allowed to see how they take and make calls to people requiring ambulance services.

One obvious benefit from the date is getting confused. I tried to map the flow of information that from a 999 call to the Emergency Care Practitioner (ECP). But I wasn't satisfied with what I have. I now have more questions than when I start. Additionally, I was overwhelmed by the different systems, titles/positions, and possible scenarios. So, a second sit in would help me to clarify a few things.I spoke to the Control Room manager and mentioned to her that I want to come again. She said it would be fine.

Confusion asides, I have a better understanding of the 'other side' of the ECP work. If the systems works as it should be, then the ECPs would have a lesser (mental) workload in terms of making decision about the severity of the patients' condition.

Comments

Telipuk Kuala said…
Kat sini we're in the midst of preparing to launch the new 999 emrgency call services with TM as the main provider. Last time when I was involved, we visit a call centre in Seremban and listened to the calls received. Imagine 99% were crank calls. All those lonely Bangladeshi...purposely called to seek friendship...kelakar pun ada! For us macam source of entertainment la, but for all those well experienced staff...muka buhsan tahap cipan dah! :)
Anonymous said…
yes.. some people are just seeking attention.
I would like to hear more on the deployment of the 999 emergency services. Will be in contact about it.