PhD Tips

Upon returning from a day trip to the north-west corner of the East Midlands, I went to Kak Eton's house. She invited me for tea via a text message that I receive when I was at Chatsworth House. Her call did not went through, I blame the bad network, hence the text.

I arrived almost half an hour late, due to my lack of proper estimation of the travel time. Fortunately, there were two other invited guests, and they arrived late. The husband and wife arrived about 10 minutes after I settled in and ate roti canai, shared with Haikal. Syazli (UTM KL staff) and Dr Ida (a dentist at UIA) were the guests of honour. The celebration was Syazli passing his PhD viva a week ago.

The tea quickly turned into a 'sembang-sembang berisi' session. There were lots of points of interest relating to successfully doing a PhD. A big point that I took aboard is 'create a time limit for the PhD'. That's a very sensible advice. One can't pretend, or think, as if the PhD can be extended forever. By imposing a time limit in one's mind, the process of finishing a PhD has a more definite structure. This point is a fine example of the T in SMART - characteristics of good goal setting.

For me, the time limit is the end of September 2010. So, no play play, okay!!!! Got only 16 months to go. Aiyaaaaa!! So fast aa?

Comments

kak e said…
easier said than done.... huhuhu... help! i'm drowning in my data....