post-Cambridge: the experience

This time around, the conference felt much more laid-back. Fewer participants, less programme-per-day, more mature group of volunteers, and a different kind of reponsibility added up to a more enjoyable experience of running the conference.

For this conference, Sue Hull (conference manager) asked me to be the 'conference office manager' (a self-endowed title, I have to say). Basically, I was in charge of preparing the lap tops for use in the plenary and parallel sessions. Though Sue had done a good job chasing people to deliver their powerpoint presentations to her BEFORE the conference, there are some presenters who delivered theirs during the conference.

To add stress to the 'laid-back-ness', virus/worm/trojan popped up with dramatic effect. The hired lap top had to be replaced with new ones (ones with anti-virus programme). The memory sticks that hold most of the presentation had to be reformatted. So, we had to request the presenter to give their PPT files again!

Fortunately, the overhaul occured on the second day. So, we had to deal with only one-day worth of presentations. Alhamdulillah.

At this conference, I met Prof Rhona Flin. I've been in contact with her last year for applying to do a PhD at Aberdeen. She invited me up to Aberdeen to share my research at Loughborough with her and her students. I'm looking forward to that meeting.

Comments