A Walk in the Clouds

Someeting that I did last Sunday was watching A Walk in the Clouds (Keanu Reeves). The movie is beautiful! The cinematography, scenery, and dialogue are simply beautiful and sweet; very easy to enjoy. It is artful. Feels like watching a novel come to life. It has been a while since I read a novel. So, this movie did very well to reignite my interest in nove. Currently I'm reading 'The Shadow of the Wind' by Carlor Ruiz Zafon. Interestingly, this novel is an English translation of a Spanish text.But I'm digressing.

AWitC is an 'old' movie, produced in 1995. I've heard about it before. But the title did not do much for me. However, upon watching the few opening scenes (more because of the lack of other interesting programs on tv), I was quickly immersed. The point of immersion came when Victoria Aragon (the female protagonist) introduced the valley where her big family live as las Nubes, meaning 'the clouds'. Suddenly I understood and, more importantly, appreciated the movie title.

I can't help but drawing the parallel between this movie and Dilwale Dulhaniye le Jayenge. The big extended family, musics, and dancing are the obvious common elements. What is more interesting is the dynamics of extended family which is drawn quite convincingly. The introduction of a stranger into the family brought differing reactions from the family members. The efforts expanded by that stranger into winning the acceptance from the family, especially from the patriarch of the family are simply heart warming.
I particularly like one scene where Keanu put on a new pair of trousers, a bit too big for him. His grandpa-in-law then said, "Clothes are like family.You have to live in them a while before you get the perfect fit." That statement rings true
and beautiful in its simplicity.

Those who wants to have a healthy dose of family-themed feel good factor can watch this movie.

Comments