Learning from the son

This entry will hopefully be a reminder of what I felt last weekend. I hope this memory stays with me for a long time. And if need be, people can refer to this entry to know how I felt on Sunday, 14 August 2005.

I was towelling Marwan dry. And being the cheerful kid that he is, he used his hands to land punches on my body. Some of the punches were aimed at my head. Now, I have mentioned to him, in previous occassions, that this behavior is not acceptable. On this particular instance, may be my voice was firmer than usual. Then I saw him retreating from me, and his tears began to run down his cheek.

Not being able to put my own emotion under control, my tears found their way down my cheek. The sadness of ending the weekend with him was multiplied by the tears that I saw. And he made a valiant effort of sulking at my admonishment. He refused to let me dress him up. I relented after a few trials of facilitating him. When he was trying to put on his belt, he struggled. By then his cry has been reduced to sobs. I tried to approach him again, and he let me help him with the belt. End of part one.

We performed the 'asr prayer together. And he stayed with me till the end. After we shook hand, I gave him a big hug. And he hug me back. Tightly. And then I heard him sobbing. I ran my hand on his back, consoling him with forgiveness. And an explanation that I was not angry with him. I had only intended for him to stop hitting my head. In between his tears and mine, we found new strength and depth in our relationship. I hope he really know I love him no matter what. And I know I can correct his behavior and he will not hate me for doing so.

Ayah loves you so much Marwan.

Comments

nao said…
muga muga anda sekeluarga di rahmati Illahi...Amin
terima kasih atas doa anda
Anonymous said…
Harris, I had tears in my eyes while reading this.. somehow what I envy is that .. with this thing that happened, it has renewed yr relationship with marwan and put it into a newer, better level... hmmm A good lesson that both of u guys learned, isnt it.. hmm make sense tak?
I accept what had happened. And I am thankful to Allah that He made me see the good things that came out of it. Otherwise, I'd be depressed from focusing on the negative effects.