A Bad Day

When bad things happen, they happen in clusters. An instructive example was things that happened yesterday (Tuesday).

I was merrily (you can dispute that adverb) teaching, swaying back on forth between the table and the wall. As is my habit, I also moved sideways. On this particular morning, my swaying movement landed me in an embarrasing situation.

To understand the embarrassment, you need to know that on the wall is a whiteboard. And attached at the bottom of the board is a slate of metal for holding the marker pens and duster. You see, the edge of the slate is quite sharp. And its sharpness was empathetically demonstrated when I rubbed - unintentionally, of course - my behind against the edge. The sound of a tearing cloth rang loudly in my ears. My hand quickly found its way to assess (no pun intended) the severity of the situation. About an inch of vertical gap had appeared in my pants. What can I do? I excused myself, walked out like a crab (sideways, and with as much grace), and get myself a change of outfit. End of bad day scene number one.

When I got home later that evening, I tossed my sweat-drenched t-shirt in the pail. (You see, I had returned from an exciting badminton game. I played for about two hours: my stamina was ok, but my skill, again, is comparable to that of a crab). I intended to soak it (the shirt, not the crab) for a while before washing it with other articles of clothings. Imagine the frustation when I discovered the tap had run dry! (Now I know that my apartment does not have a water tank.) Somehow, I got an instinct to check the water meter outside. To add horror to the frustration, I saw the meter locked. The padlock was bright and shiny and it taunting me as if I was a helpless crab being dangled by a rope (I hope you get the crabby theme by now).

So, with a body reeking of sweat, I had to seek a place to perform ablution, and Maghrib prayer. And to take a shower. Later, i discovered that the previous tenant had not paid maintenence fee and water bill that amounted to RM369.51. No wonder the apartment management was crabby.

Quite an event, wasn't it. But, as my friend mentioned to me, through his SMS (Positive thinking is like this: You see a small bird flying, you look up, and it shits in your eyes. You don't cry, nor you get angry. Instead, you thank God, because cows don't fly). Oooppss... I shouldn't have put a period after the bracket, but i suspect you don't have long enough breath to take the previous incomplete sentence, plus what's suppose to come after it, in one go. So, I am sparing you the misery by violating the grammer. Fair enough? (breath in....out.....in.....out....)

Err.....where was I? Yeah. I was about to make a point about positive thinking. Yes, indeed I thank God that cows don't fly. But flightless cow are of no use to me, unless they can dryclean my shirt. So, more appropriately for my situation, I was thankful that I did have spare clothings in my car. And I did have a place where the water meter was not locked. I should not blame anyone, really. Afterall, this crab had managed to take a shower!

Comments

Telipuk Kuala said…
Oh God! How come I did'nt at all feel sorry when reading this...sorry I was laughing like crab at this old entry of yours!