Burnout Measures

The list below is based on a post at https://stresscenter.ucsf.edu/measures/burnout. I've added SBI, the items for each instrument, and some different links to the instruments. The response categories and instructions for each instrument are not included here. You have to work a bit if you want to use them.

Word of CAUTION: Please make sure you really understand the instrument before using them in your own research.  

Burnout Measures

The Bergen Burnout Inventory, 9 items (BBI; Feldt et al., 2014)


1. I am snowed under with work. (EXH)
2. I feel dispirited at work and I think of leaving my job. (CYN)
3. I often sleep poorly because of the circumstances at work. (EXH)
4. I frequently question the value of my work. (INAD)
5. I feel that I have gradually less to give. (CYN)
6. My expectations to my job and to my performance have reduced. (INAD)
7. I constantly have bad conscience because my work forces me to neglect my close friends and relatives. (EXH)
8. I feel that I am gradually losing interest in my customers or my other employees. (CYN)
9. Honestly I felt more appreciated at work before. (INAD)

The Oldenburg Burnout Inventory, 16 items (OLBI; Halbesleben and Demerouti, 2005).
1.      After work, I tend to need more time than in the past in order to relax and feel better
2.      I can tolerate the pressure of my work very well
3.      During my work, I often feel emotionally drained
4.      After working, I have enough energy for my leisure
5.      When I work, I usually feel energized
6.      After my work, I usually feel worn out and weary
7.      Usually, I can manage the amount of my work well
8.      I always find new and interesting aspects in my work
9.      It happens more and more often that I talk about my work in a negative way
10.  Lately, I tend to think less at work and do my job almost mechanically
11.  I find my work to be a positive challenge
12.  Over time, one can become disconnected from this type of work
13.  This is only type of work that I can imagine myself doing
14.  I feel more and more engaged in my work
15.  Sometimes I feel sickened by my work tasks


The Professional Quality of Life Compassion Satisfaction and Fatigue Version 5, 30 items (ProQOL; Figley and Stamm, 1996; Stamm, 2010)
 
1. I am happy.
2. I am preoccupied with more than one person I [help].
3. I get satisfaction from being able to [help]people.
4. I feel connected to others.
5. I jump or am startled by unexpected sounds.
6. I feel invigorated after working with those I [help].
7. I find it difficult to separate my personal life from my life as a [helper].
8. I am not as productive at work because I am losing sleep over traumatic experiences of a person I [help].
9. I think that I might have been affected by the traumatic stress of those I [help]. 
10. I feel trapped by my job as a [helper].
11. Because of my [helping], I have felt "on edge" about various things.
12. I like my work as a [helper].
13. I feel depressed because of the traumatic experiences of the people I [help]. 
14. I feel as though I am experiencing the trauma of someone I have [helped].
15. I have beliefs that sustain me.
16. I am pleased with how I am able to keep up with [helping]techniques and protocols.
17. I am the person I always wanted to be.
18. My work makes me feel satisfied.
19. I feel worn out because of my work as a [helper].
20. I have happy thoughts and feelings about those I [help]and how I could help them.
21. I feel overwhelmed because my case [work] load seems endless.
22. I believe I can make a difference through my work.
23. I avoid certain activities or situations because they remind me of frightening experiences of the people I [help].
24. I am proud of what I can do to [help].
25. As a result of my [helping], I have intrusive, frightening thoughts.
26. I feel "bogged down" by the system.
27. I have thoughts that I am a "success" as a [helper].
28. I can't recall important parts of my work with trauma victims.
29. I am a very caring person.
30. I am happy that I chose to do this work.


        School Burnout Inventory (SBI): Reliability and Validity.



Other burnout measures focus on exhaSalmela-Aro,s alone:
 
The 14 item Shirom-Melamed Burnout Measure (SMBM; Shirom, 1989)

1. I feel tired
2. I have no energy for going to work in the morning
3. I feel physically drained
4. I feel fed up
5. I feel like my “batteries” are “dead”
6. I feel burned out
7. My thinking process is slow
8. I have difficulty concentrating
9.  I feel I'm not thinking clearly
10.  I feel I'm not focused in   my thinking
11.  I have difficulty thinking about complex things
12.  I feel I am unable to be sensitive to the needs of coworkers and customers 
13.  I feel I am not capable of investing emotionally in coworkers and customers
14.  I feel I am not capable of being sympathetic to co-workers and customers


The Copenhagen Burnout Inventory (CBI; Kristensen et al., 2005) 



1.      How often do you feel tired?
2.      How often are you physically exhausted?
3.      How often are you emotionally exhausted?
4.      How often do you think: ’’I can’t take it anymore’’?
5.      How often do you feel worn out?
6.      How often do you feel weak and susceptible to illness?

7.      Do you feel worn out at the end of the working day?
8.      Are you exhausted in the morning at the thought of another day at work?
9.      Do you feel that every working hour is tiring for you?
10.  Do you have enough energy for family and friends during leisure time?
11.  Is your work emotionally exhausting?
12.  Does your work frustrate you?
13.  Do you feel burnt out because of your work?

14.  Do you find it hard to work with clients?
15.  Does it drain your energy to work with clients?
16.  Do you find it frustrating to work with clients?
17.  Do you feel that you give more than you get back when you work with clients?
18.  Are you tired of working with clients?
19.  Do you sometimes wonder how long you will be able to continue working with clients?

The Burnout Measure (BM; Pines and Aronson, 1988)
Malach-Pines, A., 2005. The burnout measure, short version. International Journal of Stress Management 12, 78–88. Doi: 10.1037/1072-5245.12.1.78

Please use the following scale to answer the question: When you think about your work overall, how often do you feel the following?
1=never 2=almost never 3=rarely 4=sometimes 5=often 6=very often 7=always

1.      Tired
2.      Disappointed with people
3.      Hopeless
4.      Trapped
5.      Helpless
6.      Depressed
7.      Physically weak/Sickly
8.      Worthless/Like a failure
9.      Difficulties sleeping
10.  “I’ve had it

A single-item measure (Dolan et al., 2015).
Overall, based on your definition of burnout, how would you rate your level of burnout?

Comments